Sunday, October 17, 2010

Treated Like a Queen

I've just finished celebrating my birthday and it's been a wonderful day -- uh, make that a wonderful four days! Why limit yourself to one?

At the United Way Fund Raiser a couple of weeks ago, Mitch and I bid on and won a "Romance Package": three nights away at three romantic destinations. So we picked one and started celebrating. And it was a doozy.

Rough Creek Lodge in the countryside near Glen Rose, Texas. The essence of casual elegance (at least that's what their website says!) A delicious 3 course dinner prepared by Chef Gerard Thompson, a luxurious guestroom, a full-spread breakfast buffet, and to finish it off -- couples massages!

We staggered out of there and headed off to the Texas Ranger's first ever American League Championship Series game. Against the Yankees. And the Rangers did great -- until the top of the 8th. Ouch. Close, but no win. But it was great fun, and I loved every minute of it.

Saturday was a play-day with Julie and my precious grandchildren. Today they were all here for lunch. I love every second I get to spend with them. I love their happy smiles, their energy, their giggles and shrieks. My heart actually swells when I'm with them. I know this is true. I feel it happen. They are the best!

Another comment on my birthday: Mitch gave me a wonderful gift. (And I mean a physical gift -- in addition to the gift of his time and attention.) A few weeks ago we spent time in New Mexico watching the aspen trees change colors. It was so pretty and we enjoyed it very much. So he takes me to the James Avery Jewelry Store, buys me this aspen leaf pendant, and places it on a beautiful silver chain.

CM-1929.jpg

I just love a guy that comes up with a sentimental gift.

And I love a guy that makes something special like this, too!


It's true. It's good to be Queen.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! :)
    What an AMAZING birthday you had, so special.
    Your family is AWESOME, a real treasure!
    ~TRL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats late on your BD Sarilyn! And the James Avery is a great place. We've been there a few years back for our 30th aniv. We have a couple of great guys! Karen Segars Eppler

    ReplyDelete