Saturday, October 2, 2010

Aromas In the Air


And the aroma is -- pinon wood! Pinon has a very distinctive fragrance, and it's common to smell it burning in chimineas and firepits here in New Mexico. This one just happened to be on our back porch this evening.


And there was another scent in the air in Texas -- birthday cake! Well, I really don't know if there was cake or not but there should have been. Today is my dad's birthday. The 78th one he's celebrated. Happy Birthday, Dad! (And here's a little photo of him during a birth day we celebrated earlier this year.)


When I was little I always loved it when Dad would sing. I think it happened twice a year, most years anyway. One song was at Christmas -- Up On the Rooftop. He sang the Ho-Ho-Ho. Beautifully, I might add. And we loved it. It's a favorite Christmas memory of mine.

The other song was Perry Como's A - You're Adorable. It goes like this: A - you're adorable; B - you're so beautiful; C - you're a cutie full of charm. Etc.) I can't remember him ever singing past the T, but it didn't matter. We loved the song, and we loved him singing it.

So, as his birthday comes to a close, I'd like my dad to remember this sentimental sentiment: Alphabetically speaking, you're OK.

Love you, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment