Monday, May 24, 2010

Postcards

I continue to enjoy sending and receiving postcards from all around the world. I've been participating for the past 79 days. In this time period, 21 people have found postcards from me waiting in their mailbox. My cards have traveled a distance of 79,275 miles. The longest distance was 9715 miles (to Singapore, China) and the shortest was 30 miles (to the DFW area).

During this same time, 20 postcards have been delivered to my mailbox. They have traveled a combined distance of 83,279 miles. The longest distance was 9261 miles (from Australia) and the shortest was 46 miles (from the DFW area).

This postcard was sent by Heather, from Iowa. As she sent her card, most of her family was gathering in Dallas to witness her nephew's first communion. She couldn't make the trip, but she did have a plan to take her family to a community festival over the weekend. Iowa adopted the wild rose as their state flower in 1897.


The Tatra Mountains in Poland are beautiful and are used for much recreation, including mountain climbing and water sports. Justyna sent the card from her home in Poland, and she's hoping that one day she will be able to live in a small mountain village. She's not a fan of the big city! When she sent her card, it was raining and 15 degrees C. (That's 60 degrees F for us!)

It's fun to get cards that bring back memories for me, and this card from Dianne did just that. I've seen Mt. Rainier a few times when I've traveled to Washington state to visit family. It's breathtaking from any viewpoint -- in the air or on the ground. Dianne reminded me that this year is the 30th anniversary of it's last eruption.


My nieces are here this week, visiting from Arizona. The girls and I had a fun time last night looking over the postcards and reading the messages these strangers sent. There were lots of oohs and giggles.

I can tell this is going to be a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment